Devotionals on Worry
Worry In the Title
- We won’t believe; we won’t let go by severing the line that secures the boat to the shore— we prefer to worry.
- and to Him. If remission of sins were only for those who had not sinned or if His forgiveness were only for the righteous, where would be the need of a Saviour? Remember the words He spoke about Mary? To whom much is forgiven, the same loves much. So do not fret or worry...
- Pray and Praise
For you tarnish your life with much fretting. You spoil your walk with much worry. Fretting and worry crush the treasures that the Lord has to offer, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving..
- Whether you like all that we have said, or agree with it or not, does not worry me; but I am concerned that we have come to Christ, to show that Christ in heaven is our Life, Christ in heaven is our All, and appointed to be so by God, and nothing here can take the place of Christ.
- No, though sadly some believers do worry that they are not truly born again. Get once and for all the gospel truth ever firmly fixed in your mind and heart.. believe… just believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you are saved – forever. No, the majority of truth in Paul’s epistles are for the saved man or woman, so that we can live the life that is best for us, as directed by the Holy Spirit.
- Godly Thinking
He had a Single Mind – in spite of all the problems and circumstances of life. He had a Submissive Mind – regardless of the way that people behaved towards him. He had a Spiritual Mind – where he set his heart on the right thinking. He had a Secure Mind – where worry and fear was replaced with trust and love. He had a Surrendered Mind – where each thought was captured and given to God.
- don’t worry about anything, and just cast all concerns on Him..
- or be double-minded and be disturbed. FOURTH: Don’t worry about anything, and just cast all concern on Him. Those that wait and hope and trust the Lord in all things are renewed in all ways. Those that won’t wait and hope and trust the Lord – try to sort out their own problems – and the result is insecurity, fretfulness, depression, panic and sleeplessness.
- If we went around rushing headlong into life in fearless ways we wouldn’t have to exercise our faith, so it’s normal and healthy to worry about that exam coming up..
- But if you try to worry it out, you obliterate Him and deserve all you get.
- The branch of the vine does not worry, and toil, and rush here to seek sunshine, and there to find rain.
- Have we been slandering God by daring to worry when He has said: Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you?
- It is not only wrong to worry, it is infidelity, because worrying means that we do not think that God can look after the practical details of our lives, and it is never any thing else that worries us.
- He would have us live our lives without fear; without care, without doubt or worry. If we trust Him fully then we must love Him completely.. and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him 1John 4:16. What comfort is this.
- Do not fret or worry over poverty or loneliness – of suffering or loss.
- God’s Grace
Faith does not shrink back through a furtive imagination or unfounded worry.
- Faith is the route, that renounces guilt; worry; impurity and weakness.
- Worry is a destroying thing.
- Fear for today and worry about tomorrow are two of the greatest enemies of joy, and Satan delights to trip us up with circumstances that encourages such negativity. If we could learn to combine His compassion and empathy for others with His joy… instead of fuelling the fires of their grief with our own mealy-mouthed problems – we would witness to His praise and glory and allow His joy to shine through us.
- But if you try to worry it out, you obliterate Him and deserve all you get.
- Trust in God
The final snare is to permit the trials of this life to overwhelm us with worry, lest at any time your hearts be overwhelmed with the cares of this life. And the caution against the physical sin translates into a spiritual warning.
- He Knocks
As we flap and worry and fret and concern ourselves with accumulating difficulties..
- Strongholds that result in self-condemnation; guilt; worry and a life of defeat.
- Surrendered Heart
Help and healing comes from total surrender of your entire being to the Lord..surrender of all and everything in your life – past present and future..surrender of all past, present and future hurt, guilt, pain, fear, doubt and worry..
- Sometimes this can cause murmurings, dissatisfactions and even worry within us..
- We imagine that a little anxiety and worry are an indication of how really wise we are; it is much more an indication of how really wicked we are.
- All our fret and worry is caused by calculating without God.
- Our Pain
There is no past pain too deep that He cannot bind up. There is no wound too entrenched that he cannot heal. There is no ill-treatment you have received that cannot be lovingly restored. There is no fear too extreme that He cannot still. There is no one anxious worry that He does not care about.
- The Father's promptings never nag, or worry, or harass.
- and worry about the future. We concern ourselves on how we will manage and what if..
- Peaceful Mind
For many years my own mother worried about ‘what if’ my father died,, until she recognised her sin of worry and confessed her foolish thoughts. Worrying of things that may happen robs most people of their present peace and joy.. but how frequently we are told in Scripture not to worry…for worry is fear.
- a submissive mind – regardless of the way that people behave towards us.. a spiritual mind – where we set our hearts on the right thinking.. a secure mind – where worry and fear is replaced with trust and love- a surrendered mind – where each thought is captured and handed over to Him.
- Renewed Mind
You will at last discover that a life of depression and doubt and worry can be transformed, by the renewing of your mind – as you take every thought captive, and just believe His Word…
- You need not worry - only keep on that ground by your attitude of heart.
- If you are going to worry - if you must worry - worry lest you get down on earthly ground, for that is the ground of worry.
- Word of Promise
His proof and guarantee that His Word and promises provision is sure.. is the gift of His Beloved Son in Whom He is well pleased – so that we can be made adoptive sons, whom He also loves and loves so dearly! If so great a gift is forthcoming from the Father, He will not withhold the smaller gifts that are needed for our daily survival. Ours is not to worry, but to trust in His loving provision. His is to carry out His never-failing promises and His vow to you.
- Foolish Worry
Throughout the Word of God we are repeatedly told not to fear..
- and yet how many born-again devotees of Christ are choked with fear. It is now a scientifically proven fact that as fear increases so faith decreases. Research now confirms that worry and concerns of life envelop our thinking..
- for worry is the root cause for a the vast majority of life’s problems, resulting in sickness of body and sickness of soul.
- and scripture shows the pernicious stream that flows from fear and its tributaries.. worry, anger, irritation, sickness, disappointment, hurt, pain..
- Be careful for nothing –Be anxious for nothing –Don’t be concerned about anything –Don’t worry about anything whatsoever, but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto GodPhilippians 4:6
- Care and Concerns
How often and how frequently our hearts are prone to worry and anxiety, fret or fear. How often our brow is furrowed with tension as the pains of life reflects in our face. How frequently fear of the future or personal problems divide or distract our hearts. How regrettable that cares and concerns of life should steal the Lord’s perfect peace.
- Rest in Him
But God instructs us not to worry about anything but to cast all our cares on Him and to place all the burdens that we carry onto His strong shoulder for He cares for us. He’s our good Shepherd.
- Trust His Word
Worry can also mean: I do not believe that God can keep His promises to care for me. It’s casting doubt on the truth of God’s word – it’s unbelief in His promised provision. When worry is taken to its final conclusion – worry is effectively calling God “a liar!!” But He is our strength and stay – our joy and hope and He is the lover of our soul.
- Worry and Unbelief
To doubt and disobey the Lord – can even be construed as belying God’s existence! Worry can become such a fact of life, that our hearts declare that there is no God… Who loves and cares for me, because He is insufficient to take care of all my distress! This should never be, for we have a great God Who not only died to save us from our sin, but Who promised to supply all our needs, according to His gracious riches.
- Precious Time
The time one spends on worry is precious time that had been lost to life forever and effort spent on worry is of little worth – for it wearies the soul and exhausts the heart. It was Paul the apostle that called us to be careful for nothing – to be cautions and concerned about nothing – to be anxious and troubled about absolutely NOTHING!
- Precious Privilege
But to be careful about nothing is to cast aside all the worry that destroys our lives. To be anxious about NOTHING means to cast all your care upon the Lord Jesus.we are instructed not to worry or fret or be anxious about anything whatsoever.
- Precious Provision
Worry and trust cannot coexist..
- faith and fear are impossible bedfellows. When worry and fear increase – so our faith in the Lord decreases. But as our trust in our Saviour enlarges..
- You do not sit down with the law, and watch it, and worry about it.
- Jesus is laying down the rules of conduct for those who have His Spirit, and it works on this principle - God is my Father, He loves me, I shall never think of anything He will forget, why should I worry?
- And I know that as I have looked at many of the Lord’s people I have said, I wish that they did not need so much looking after; if only they would begin to stand on their own feet, and take responsibility, so that we need not worry about them any more, because we know that they can be trusted!
- One of the things which is lacking in so many of us is this rest, or, to put it the other way, the things which characterize us so much are fret, anxiety, uncertainty, and all those things which are just the opposite of calm assurance, quiet confidence, the spirit and attitude and atmosphere which says all the time, Don't worry, don't fret, it's all right.
- And He exhorts us not to be worried or concerned :- ‘Fear not – Fret not – Don’t worry – Let not your heart be troubled.
- Worry, Anxieties, Fear
At other times we can be overburdened by worry and anxieties..
- We see now why Our Lord so emphasized the sin of worry.
- Faith in Action
Faith does not shrink back through a furtive imagination or unfounded worry.
- Faith is the route that renounces guilt, worry impurity and weakness.
- Suppose God is the God you know Him to be when you are nearest to Him - what an impertinence worry is!
- and don’t worry about anything.
- He was not to worry about being too young or inarticulate, or because of any speech impediment.
- The Lord in His grace stretched out His hand and touched the timid Jeremiah on the mouth, and told him, “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.” Jeremiah, like all those that are called, chosen, selected or sent was not to worry about the message he was to carry, because the words would be given from above – at the right time.
- Having taught His disciples to pray to the Father in faith, Christ has given a long dissertation on the futility of fretting, the fruitlessness of worry and the anxiety that is caused when our primary attention is on how WE can provide for our own temporal necessities of life.
- But then comes the important teaching that instead of futile fretting and needless worry our principal thoughts and prime pursuit should be on the eternal kingdom of God and the righteousness that flows from Him, rather than seeking to provide for ourselves through the bankrupt dominions of this passing world system.
- God knows that worry entraps the heart and fear fractures faith, which can cause a believer to spiral down into a pit of despair.
- They will remain green and fruitful and not worry in the year of drought.
- Let us not worry about evil people who prosper nor fret about their wicked schemes for they will eventually be cut off.
- They worry that if they fall into carnality or go astray, they will lose their salvation and their last state will become worse for them than the first.
- And so, He would privately address His disciples and explain the futility of worry; the importance of trusting the Father; their inability to address the issues that arise in their lives; the need for a heavenly viewpoint, the wisdom of not being afraid and the eternal benefits of laying up for themselves treasure in heaven.
- Some say that you, yourself can remove yourself from out of His hands, while others worry that they have committed an unforgivable sin, but on both counts - this would be a slur on the character of God, for it implies that Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was not sufficient – and it is.
- And we are exhorted not to worry about anything, but instead to pray confidently about everything - telling the Lord what we need, laying our petitions at His feet, and thanking Him for all He has done.
- We are to keep our hearts free from fretting and worry and this is done as we cast all our cares and concerns upon the Lord Jesus - for He cares for us.
- In worry we talk to ourselves.
- When we worry we focus on the circumstances of life, but in prayer we focus on our heavenly Father.
- Worry is self-centred and selfish, and worry is really rooted in the sin of unbelief, but prayer is God-centred and pleasing to Him for prayer is built on a heart that trusts His Word and depends upon Him for all our needs.
- False teaching, false prophecies and fabricated letters - which were allegedly from Paul, had been circulated - causing these Christians to worry, that they had missed the rapture of the Church, whilst believing that the Day of the Lord had already arrived!
- How we love to fret and worry about this and that – indeed I have heard it said, how worrying it would be if we did not have anything to worry about!
- And yet how much this violates the wisdom of Scripture for we are admonished not to fret nor to fear - nor to carry our own burdens but to cast all our worries upon the Lord - to be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication to talk to the Lord, in our own words, and in the quietness of spirit to Spirit communion - to tell God what are our needs – to talk to Him about the things that so often cause us to fret and worry – and to thank Him for all he has done for us.
- Were we to read this verse and act on it the moment that a worry cast a dark shadow across the portal our heart, we would neither fret nor be troubled – we would not be anxious about anything - we would safely abide in the arms of Jesus, for He is our eternal sufficiency.
- Faith in our heavenly Father and love for His beloved Son, is our eternal protection, both inwardly and outwardly, while the blessed hope we have in our salvation, will guard our minds from the wiles of the evil one - who would seek to flood us with fear, ship-wreck our mission and ministry, and destroy our testimony, through worry of what is coming on the world.
- The man that humbles himself before the Lord in godly fear need not worry about the arrow that flies in the daytime nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, for God has promised, I will be with him, I will uphold him with my righteous right hand – and I will teach him the path that he should choose.
- We live in times that are becoming increasingly difficult to make ends meet and the temptation is to look at those around at those who appear to be so bountifully endowed, with the riches of this world... and yearn for a little of what they have – it seems so unfair – it seems so unjust, that those who seek after the wealth of this world appear to have a purse filled with coins, with little to concern their God-less lives - whereas we have such a meagre portion, and can scarce breathe for worry about provision for tomorrow, which enlarges into fear of the future.
- This is a verse about the foolishness of worry and the faithfulness of God as our gracious Provider – but too often we worry about the things in this life.
- We can be anxious about the future and we can fret about the past – we can worry about our finances, our families and our futures – our reputation, our relationships, and yet the Lord points out the futility of worry – for if He provides for the little bird, how much more will He provide for those that are His children.
- Some people quite like to have something to fret about – and are even worried if they find they have nothing to worry them!
- But there is a serious side to worrying about the needs and necessities of our everyday life for in God’s economy worry is a sin – the sin of unbelief.
- Worry can morph in to dissatisfaction and discontent and can even develop into murmuring complaints against the Lord.
- Let us take the Lord at His word and trust Him - and when we are faced with a ‘worry’ let us simply claim His promises of provision - His support and sufficiency, for all His promises are yes and amen in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- This should not worry us, for God is unchanging and unchangeable.
- He simply wants us to trust His Word, cast our care upon Him and not worry.
- The liberty that we have in the Church dispensation causes some believers to worry that Christians who do not have a series of do’s and don’ts to comply with in the Christian life, are likely to think that our liberty is a licence to sin.
- Fear displaces faith in God, unbelief deposes belief in His word and worry dislodges simple trust in God as our faithful Provider.
- There is no need to worry, were His reassuring words, since I'm going away to prepare a place for you in my Father's house, it means that I am going to come back again for you, so that I can welcome you into My presence in glory - and then you will be with Me forever.
- When the enemy seeks to instil worry in our heart or to whip-up our frantic emotions - it is the Shield-of-Faith that is our protection - for God's Word is sure and we must stand firm on His truth, however fragile life's circumstances may have become.
- He comes as the accuser of the saints and as the destroyer of nations - for he is the father of lies and a murderer from the beginning - and he comes as a roaring lion seeking to ship-wreck the faith of many Christians through fear, anxiety, worry and depression - weakening our witness; rendering us useless as ambassadors for Christ and stunting our Christian growth.
- No surprise that we receive such a stern and vital warning against worry and anxiety and such a strong admonition to be spiritually alert, sober-minded..
- We are not to worry about anything -but instead, we are to pray about everything, to tell God what we need, and to thank Him for all He has done.
- Too often we think in terms of years and make plans for the far distant future, and yet we are instructed to live one day at a time and not to even worry ourselves about the needs of tomorrow, for each day has sufficient trouble of its own.
- How easy it is to start to worry about the necessities of life and to become anxious when we see that food is getting scarce; clothes are getting worn; the rent is overdue or when we have to face the loss of a job or a home.
- But worry is an expression of unbelief in the Father-heart of God, for we are told that God knows all our needs and to trust Him in all things.
- To adopt a heart of worry when we are faced with lack is to step into the realm of the unbeliever, for scripture reminds us that in the world system it is the unbelievers; the Gentiles; the pagans that fret over the basics of life and adopt an attitude of anxiety.
- As trust in Him increases so worry and fear decline.
- In this everyday world of living, worry has become the accepted 'norm', but the truth of this verse is staggering, when once accepted and applied.
- Worry in its various guises and disguises is a sin that reflects unbelief in God's gracious promises of provision.
- Jesus lived a life encompassed by problems and perplexities, sorrow and scorn, rejection, hatred and contempt, but Jesus lived a life that was totally free from worry. WHY?
- because His every thought was taken captive and immediately handed to the indwelling Holy Spirit so that worry was overtaken by dependence on God; a desire to do the will of the Father and a Spirit-led trust in God.
- Rather than permitting our minds to be dragged down into the miry clay of the world through worry we should take every thought captive and allow our hearts to ascend into heavenly places in Christ.
- Rather than permitting worry to darken our heart and cloud our mind we should seek our Saviour, Christ Jesus our Lord with all of our heart and soul and mind and strength - for He is not only our Saviour and King but is the personification and embodiment of all that is the Kingdom of Heaven - for Christ is all in all.
- Let us seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness, by setting the eyes of our heart on the beauty of the Lord Jesus and trusting Him in every circumstance of Life - for in so doing, worry will be replaced with the wisdom of the WORD.
- But the Lord Jesus in this extended dialogue to his followers cautions of the foolishness of fretting and the futility of worry, for it results in a fruitless and defeated life.
- However, the Lord's warning is of even greater significance, for to embrace worry instead of casting all our burdens upon the Lord, demonstrates a serious lack of faith in God's Word and His promise of provision, which discredits His holy character.
- Worry is needless and wrong.
- Worry is futile and destructive.
- Worry discredits God and demonstrates unbelief.
- Worry in a single word is 'sin'.
- The lilies are clothed, and the birds are fed and yet so often we who are made in His image and likeness and have been adopted into His heavenly family, fret and worry about so many things that should be handed to the Lord in prayer - no wonder His gently rebukes of our lack of trust in His provision.